Monday, October 26, 2009

Miles Vs The Pop Culture of LOVE: An Introduction (Part 1 of 3)


This is dedicated to the love makers, heartbreakers and future heartbreakers, and yes this one is for you. My sister recently had her baby this weekend, a little girl named, Millea Anaiya Irie Villalon. My sister had told me earlier that week it means: Mountain of Hope. But this is not about her being a mountain of hope, its about something else, something that has lingered for me for a while


Earlier I mentioned future heartbreakers, well I look into my niece's eyes and I can see that in her. I even told her: "Your going to break a lot of hearts." Its funny to say that to a newborn, but ain't it the truth, somewhere out there.


Some boy will be born and in about 10-15 years he will cross my niece and they may share something special for a little while then one day she may get bored or maybe just fall out love and BAM, that kid is heartbroken.


His whole life is upheaved because now he knows: that this is what was being setup for him: 10 years of growing up to be heartbroken and lonely and depressed and my niece will know that she will be the reason that this boy, whomever he will be will listen to DEPRESSING pop music and watch romance movies to keep him optimistic. I know this cause I have been there and will still be there. There is just no other way around it: We set ourselves up for heartbreak, fellas and that is how we go about it in life.


That idiot Chris Brown once said after the Rihanna incident that "NO ONE TAUGHT THEM HOW TO LOVE." But it seems were getting lessons everyday, its more like work-expierence for relationships, I mean we have generations of kids raised on pop music and sappy 80s movies.


I suffer from LDS, what is that you wonder? Lloyd Dobler syndrome.


In the past 2 weeks I have watched Say Anything at least 5 times, last thursday it was twice in one day and I must say Lloyd Dobler is my hero.


The ultimate romantic. The ultimate optimist.


At the beginning of the movie they deal with this conundrum of heartbreak: Lloyd wants to ask out Diane Court, but his friends (all girls by the way) tell him that girls like that don't date guys like Lloyd and that they are only advising him cause they don't want him to get Hurt.


Lloyd, the ultimate romantic and optimist almost Plato like says: I WANT to get HURT. It's a interesting theory that heartbreak is worth the hurt as long as you understand the consequences and know you may not have your way but your OK with it. More on LDS will be in my next blog.


Lets just say when it comes down to it boys, "I wanna get to hurt" is as valid as saying "I will succeed." "I wanna get hurt" expresses your need to take chances, be bold and risky and if more "i wanna be hurt" a whole lot of us would be asking out OUR DIANE COURTS.








No comments: